founding partner of Margolin & Lawrence, Allison Margolin is recognized nationwide as one of the leading attorneys in cannabis licensing and law. She was one of the first lawyers to specialize in cannabis and has built a practice over the last 15 years that is unrivaled in the space. A graduate of Harvard Law School and Columbia University, Allison combines top credentials and an extensive depth of experience in cannabis business law, with a life-long passion for cannabis policy reform.
Allison is frequently awarded for her work in cannabis business law. She has been named a SuperLawyer Rising Star 7 times, including most recently in 2017, and is widely recognized as a thought leader in the cannabis industry. She is routinely called upon for her expertise in publications like The LA Times, LA Weekly, and The New Yorker.
Over the last six years, Allison has built an unrivaled team of Harvard Law-educated cannabis attorneys at Margolin & Lawrence. The firm has become an institution in the growing cannabis industry, and is widely recognized as a leader in cannabis business law.
Allison began her practice defending some of the highest profile criminal cases in California. As policy has changed, Allison has consistently adapted to provide her clients with a nuanced, forward-looking understanding of the rapidly changing legal landscape. In her current focus on cannabis business regulation and compliance, Allison has guided her clients — licensed dispensaries, growers, and manufacturers — through the complex and ever-changing laws and regulations governing medical and adult-use cannabis.
With an extensive knowledge of state policy, Allison gives special, targeted attention to each and every one of the 58 counties and 482 cities in the state. She is an expert in a range of practice areas, including regulatory law, zoning, permitting, compliance, branding, trademark, civil litigation, and criminal defense.
Allison is a member of NORML, and is involved in various other industry-related organizations, including Americans for Safe Access, Advocates for Healing America, and the Beverly Hills Bar Association. Allison is actively involved in the legislative and regulatory efforts toward adult-use regulation in California, and regularly speaks and teaches on these topics.
J.D., Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA 2002
B.A., Columbia College, New York, NY
Member of the California Bar since 2003
Allison has been admitted to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and pro hac vice to federal courts in Florida and Nevada.
Awards and Affiliations
- SuperLawyer, Thomson Reuters (2018)
- SuperLawyer Rising Star, Thomson Reuters (2011-2017)
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Member, NORML
- Member, California NORML
AVVO STORIES (Jan 5, 2018)
LA WEEKLY (Jan 4, 2018)
HELLO GIGGLES (Jan 2, 2018)
GREENSTATE (Jan 1, 2018)
LA WEEKLY (Dec 24, 2017)
KCRW (Dec 19, 2017)
LAW 360 (Oct 12, 2017)
CULTURE (Sept 26, 2017)
EAST BAY TIMES (Sept 12, 2017)
LA DAILY NEWS (Jul 12, 2017)
VICE (Jun 12, 2017)
LA DAILY NEWS (Jun 8, 2017)
2017 Speaking Engagements
- High Times Business Summit – Los Angeles, CA
- State of Marijuana Conference – Los Angeles, CA
- Infused Expo – hosted by Edibles Magazine – Los Angeles, CA
- Continuing Education of the Bar – Cannabis Law Lecture w / U.S. Attorney – San Francisco, CABeverly Hills Bar Association – Beverly Hills, CA
- NBI Continuing Legal Education – Culver City, CA
- Pincus Continuing Legal Education – Los Angeles, CA
- Westside Bar Association – Los Angeles, CA
- December 2017: Margolin & Lawrence Freedom of Information Series – Los Angeles, CA
- Oct 2017: Edibles Magazine – Infused Expo – Los Angeles, CA
- Sept 2017: Beverly Hills Bar Association – Continuing Legal Education – Beverly Hills, CA
- Aug 2017: State of Marijuana Conference – Los Angeles, CA
- July 2017: NBI Continuing Legal Education – Recreational Marijuana Law – Culver City, CA
- May 2017: Marijuana Law & Practice – Pincus Continuing Legal Education – Los Angeles, CA
- April 2017: Westside Bar Association – Recreational Cannabis Law
- March 2017: Continuing Education of the Bar – Cannabis Law – San Francisco, CA
- Jan 2017: High Times Business Summit – Los Angeles, CA